Irizar obtains Environmental Product Declaration
Irizar obtains Environmental Product Declaration, thus becoming the first company in the sector in the world to obtain this certification.
Irizar has taken a step in its commitment to the sustainability, transparency and environmental impact of its products by obtaining the Environmental Product Declaration (The International EPD System), which makes it the first company in the sector in the world to obtain this certification in the environmental context.
For more than 4 years, Irizar has been applying Lifecyle Methodologies and establishing Product Category Rules to evaluate the environmental profile of its combustion, hybrid and electric coaches, thus contributing to continuous improvement in sustainability. And it is this year that Irizar has obtained the Environmental Product Declaration, thus becoming the first company in the sector in the world to obtain this certification.
Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) have been developed in accordance with ISO 14025 and they add a new dimension in the market, given that they enable information to be provided on the environmental performance or scope of products and services. They are created and registered in the context of the Type III Eco-Labelling Programme and under the International EPD System.
This statement brings differentiating advantages to customers and markets because it offers a neutral scientific way of evaluating the coach from an environmental perspective in terms of the environmental impact throughout its lifecycle, energy consumption of renewable fossil resources at each stage of its lifecycle, polluting emissions or hazardous substances in manufacturing, as well as other environmental benefits of the product, environmental management or ecodesign systems in the organization and how to manage the end of the product’s useful life.
Thus, Irizar continues to search for sustainable excellence, not in vain, as it is currently participating in Circular Economy and Energy Efficiency and Eco-innovation projects. It develops and manufactures products with a holistic approach to protect the environment and has focused all its efforts on optimizing efficiency in key aspects to contribute to the global environmental impact of its products.
It applies environmental criteria from the design and development phase of the products and services: the traction system and batteries, the raw materials and the management of all its components at the end of its useful life, from the supply chain and production to use and finally the recycling of vehicles.
Envisioning the future sustainably
Brand, technology and sustainability are the three main building blocks on which the Irizar Group’s future strategy is based. For Irizar, sustainability is a fundamental corporate principle and means building a better world.
It is currently focusing all its efforts on pursuing sustainable long-term excellence at the economic, human and environmental levels. To achieve this, it acts sustainably to be more competitive every day, to generate wealth and long-term employment and meet the needs of all our stakeholders, people, customers, employees, society. Its priorities also include environmental protection and preservation for future generations. Because today’s decisions can change the course of history and the future.
Since 2013, it has been committed to the ten principles of the United Nations Global Compact on Human Rights, Labour Rights, the Environment and the fight against corruption. And the Sustainable Development Goals of the UN 2030 agenda (SDG) are now the framework for future development and daily activity. With the 17 Sustainable Development goals as absolute priorities, Irizar has set out on the road to try to contribute to the achievement of these ambitious objectives.
Some of the most important milestones throughout its history include these actions at the level of sustainability:
- In 1998, Irizar became the first European coach manufacturer to obtain ISO14001 certification.
- In 2000 it won the prestigious European Award for Business Excellence (European Quality Prize, awarded by EFQM (the European Foundation for Quality Management),
- In 2009, at the height of the crisis, a strategic revolution took place as Irizar made the decision to become an integral coach manufacturer with a sustainable vision. In parallel, an enormous effort towards industrial diversification and technology was undertaken because they were seen as urgent needs for carrying out the strategy. The incorporation of companies into the Group strengthened its technological position, enabling it to continue making steady headway in the development of its own-brand conventional coaches and electric buses.
- In 2011, the full range of integral Irizar coaches was launched and at the same time, the decision was taken to start the sustainable mobility project for cities.
- In 2013, it signed up to the United Nations Global Compact.
- In 2014, the Irizar Group’s first 100% electric, zero emissions bus was launched.
- In 2016, the first coaches with hybrid technology were launched on the market.
- Irizar is the winner of the National Environment Award in the product-service category in Spain and was a finalist in Europe representing Spain. It is also recognized for good practices for climate change in Euskadi.
- In 2017 the articulated 18 metre 100% electric zero emissions vehicle with fast charging by pantograph was presented and Irizar won the International Award for Best Coach of the Year and was nominated coach manufacturer of the year in Europe. These events were followed by the Bus of the Year and Ecological Industrial Vehicle of the Year
- 2018 The Irizar e-mobility factory was inaugurated, the first factory entirely dedicated to electromobility solutions in Europe. As of 2019, all the energy consumed in this plant is generated sustainably in photovoltaic solar energy parks.
- In 2019 it joined the Klima 2050 initiative: Commitment acquired by the European Union, the KLIMA 2050 Strategy of the Basque Country sets a reduction goal of 40% of greenhouse gas emissions for 2030 compared to 2005, and 80% for 2050. Likewise, in 2050 it is expected to reach renewable energy consumption of 40% of final consumption by 2050.
- In 2019 Irizar obtained the Environmental Product Declaration, thus becoming the first company in the sector worldwide to obtain this certification.
For additional information, please contact:
+ 34 667181833