Irizar part of ZeEUS electric bus project
Irizar is among manufacturers taking part in the ZeEUS project – which aims to develop and deliver electric buses for major European cities.
ZeEUS, which stands for “Zero Emission vehicles in Urban Society,” was launched in Brussels in January, with the objective of to develop high-capacity electric vehicles and to create the corresponding infrastructure for recharging.
Using electricity as a fuel for road transport helps reduce air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions and noise. The project is led by the International Association of Public Transport (UITP), which coordinates 40 members (including Irizar) that represent all the categories of the parties involved.
ZeEUS’ President, Sir Peter Hendy, said: “The use of electricity as fuel has been identified as one of the most promising alternative fuels for transport, and its application in the field of city buses is gaining strength. This is one of the most ambitious electromobility projects to be funded by the European Commission.”
The 42-month project will focus on showing the economic, operational, environmental and social viability of electric buses as a real alternative for mobility in urban environments based on various innovative technological solutions in eight European cities: Barcelona, London, Glasgow, Stockholm, Münster, Rome, Pilsen and Bonn, with different weather and orographic environments
IRIZAR is the only Spanish bus and coach manufacturer and one of only two representatives of the European sector that will participate in the project by delivering two electric urban buses to the TMB company in the city of Barcelona.
The ZeEUS project (system of zero emission city buses) has the objective of expanding a fully electric solution to most city bus networks
The initiative is co-funded by the Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport of the European Commission with a budget of €22.5 million [£18.5 m] of which €13.5 million [£11.1 m] is from the EU.
- Nominal power of 180 kW, with maximum peaks that can reach up to 230 kW, and a nominal par of 1500 Nm with a 3100 Nm peak.
- The on-board vehicle energy is 376 kWh, for an estimated range of 200-250 km that will depend on the driving cycle and the weather conditions.
- The vehicle will be equipped with pioneer technologies such as a preacclimatising system and Eco Assist.
- The pre-acclimatising system allows the vehicle to depart from the bus depot at an optimal temperature by making the most of the energy from the power grid and reducing consumption.
- Eco-Assist is a system that helps the driver in real time with the objective of reducing the vehicle’s energy consumption and increasing its range. It allows centralising information regarding consumption, the route and the driver.
This is a highly relevant initiative for Irizar since, aside from being one of the most important programmes being undertaken in Europe, it will be an ideal showcase for introducing the Group’s technology, aside from being a medium through which to test the market and assess its own product.